Click here for summary and reviews.
Hand this book to the kid:
* Who loves to draw
* Has moved/is moving to a new school
* Is dealing/has dealt with a tough home life (abusive caretakers and poverty)
* Has a relative or family friend who is a war veteran
* Who needs a little hope
Use this to teach:
* Voice–The narrator, 14-year-old Doug Swieteck (a minor character in Schmidt’s Newbery Honor book The Wednesday Wars), talks directly to the reader at times, inviting us into his tough world laced with hope.
* Types of Conflict--This story has it all–character vs. character (Doug against his father and brother), nature (inadequately-dressed Doug schlepping through snow to deliver groceries), society (poverty, Doug’s older brother stationed in Vietnam) and self (Doug’s older brother finding the courage to reenter society as a disabled war veteran).
Curriculum Guide here.
The Nitty Gritty~
Publication Date: 2011
Number of Pages: 368
Reading Level: 4.9
Interest Level: Middle Grade (ages 10-14)